Wednesday 3 June 2009

“No Thanks! I’m Just Looking!”


How often have you heard that?


And what do we do as sales associates? We say something stupid.



"No problem. My name is John and if you need anything I'll be over here"


"No problem"? Of course it's a problem!


And by the way, very few people are "just looking". How do I know this? The same way you know it. It's what we say as customers to push salespeople away. And it works great because you can see sales people physically bounce away from this 'defensive shield' that is thrown out there!


We say "just looking" because it's just easier to look around a store on our terms rather than risk asking for help and getting pushed into buying something we don't want..... or at least that is the fear that drives us.


You know it's true. A customer will walk in and avoid the salesperson who is standing there smiling but will walk up to the guy who is half way up a ladder changing a light! Why? Because the guy up the ladder isn't a threat.


So what can we do? What can we say after we hear "just looking"? What can we put in that moment?


Customer: "No Thanks! Just looking!"

Salesperson: "Great! What are you looking for?"


or


C: "I'm just getting some ideas...."

S: "What's the special occasion?"


or


C: "I'm just seeing what you've got...."

S: "Fantastic! What would you like us to have?"


Try it! And you'll be stunned how many customers tell you what they are doing in the store!


"Just getting something for my dad" or "Need something for my wife" or "It's my daughters birthday"


And of course they can turn around and say "Seriously, I'm just looking". That's fine! Then I'll back off.... because they may indeed be "just looking".


But if they are I'll make them say it twice before I step back.


2 comments:

  1. I worked in sales for a while, and I found this post to be very true. I run to into tons of salespeople that are very apathetic about their role in helping a customer find the right product. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the "asking the person on the ladder" for help comment! SO TRUE!!!!

    ReplyDelete